{{ article.title }}

Waves Handed 3-0 Setback by Lions

Oct. 19, 2006

LOS ANGELES, Calif. - The Pepperdine women's volleyball team was unable to build on the momentum of last weekend's conference victories as the Waves were swept for the third straight time on the road, 32-30, 30-28, 30-27, Thursday night by Loyola Marymount in West Coast Conference (WCC) action.

Pepperdine (8-10, 4-3 WCC) received a team-high 13 kills from Julie Rubenstein (Camarillo, Calif.). Senior Sophia Milo (Portland, Ore.) added 11 for the Waves, while Rachel Lumsden (Brea, Calif.) recorded 10. Senior Kekai Crabbe (Honolulu, Hawaii) a match-leading 18 digs.

LMU (16-6, 4-3 WCC) got a match-best 23 kills from Heather Hughes, who added 11 digs for the double-double. Christianna Reneau was the only other Lion to reach double-digits in kills with 10.

The Waves came out firing on all cylinders in game one, racing out to an 11-6 lead. Pepperdine was unstoppable in building its lead, hitting .600 with nine kills on 16 errorless swings. Leading 14-10, Pepperdine's Kiah Fiers (Palos Verdes Estates, Calif.) turned a quick hit into a 15-10 lead. Then the complexion of the match changed. LMU turned a five-point deficit into a five-point lead after capitalizing on five unforced errors by the Waves. Lumsden connected on consecutive attempts to start Pepperdine on a match-tying 5-0 run. After the two sides traded 4-0 runs, the score was knotted at 24-all. An Erin Downey attack error gave the Waves their first lead since 15-10 at 28-27. Milo drove home her third kill of the game two plays later, giving Pepperdine game point. Hughes kept the Waves from winning the game with her eighth kill of the frame only to see Cassi Chamberlain put the visitors back on top, 30-29. On the ensuing play, a Hughes attack appeared to sail long, giving Pepperdine the victory, but a line judge ruled the ball was touched at the net resulting in an LMU kill and a tie score at 30-30. The Lions would score the next two points and take the game.

Pepperdine would get off to a hot start again in game two but allowed LMU to take a 13-10 lead after a 5-1 run. Three Waves' points later, the score was knotted at 13-all. The Lions rattled off the next three points of the game and lead 16-13 after the team's third ace of the match. Trailing by three, Pepperdine managed to fight back with a 5-2 run to even the score at 22-all. Two quick points by LMU were followed by three from the Waves as Pepperdine regained the lead, 25-24. Following a timeout by the Lions, the home team scored a 4-0 run for the 28-25 lead. Rubenstein ended the run with a kill and a Hughes attempt was errant closing the gap to one, 28-27. That would be as close as the Waves would get, committing two more unforced errors as the home team took a 2-0 lead into the intermission.

The Lions picked up the first sizable break in game three with a 5-1 run to untie an 11-11 contest. The Waves would trail by as many as six, 27-21 before mounting one last charge. With a 5-0 run, Pepperdine closed to within one, 27-26 but was never able to take the lead as the LMU closed out the match with a 3-1 run.

Pepperdine will look to pick up its first road victory of the season next week when it travels to Portland and Gonzaga on Thursday and Saturday, respectively.