Sept. 11, 2007
WCC PLAYER OF THE WEEK: San Diego's Laurel Abrahamson Earns Weekly Honor
San Diego senior middle hitter Laurel Abrahamson is this week's WCC Player of the Week after guiding the Toreros to a 3-0 record and the tournament title of the USD Invitational. Abrahamson had a team-leading 58 kills on 114 attempts and only committed 13 attack errors to post a .395 attack percentage. Abrahamson was also a solid defensive presence for the Toreros as she tallied 15 blocks, six solo. In the championship match versus Oklahoma, Abrahamson hammered home a career-high 25 kills on a .413 hitting percentage.
Portland at Oregon - 7:00 PM
San Francisco at San Jose State - 7:00 PM
23 Loyola Marymount at Pacific - 7:00 PM
Saint Mary's vs. UC Santa Barbara - 7:00 PM
Santa Clara vs. UC Davis - 7:00 PM
24 Pepperdine vs. Akron - 2:00 PM
25 Gonzaga vs. Alcorn State - 3:30 PM
23 Loyola Marymount vs. Oregon State - 7:00 PM
Saint Mary's vs. UC Davis - 7:00 PM
26 San Diego vs. Pittsburgh - 7:00 PM
27 San Francisco vs. Sacramento State - 7:00 PM
28 Santa Clara vs. Cal - 7:00 PM
25 Gonzaga vs. Sam Houston State - 9:30 AM
26 San Diego vs. CS Northridge - 10:00 AM
27 San Francisco vs. Xavier - 11:00 AM
25 Gonzaga at TCU - 5:00 PM
26 San Diego vs. UCLA - 7:00 PM
27 San Francisco vs. Cal Poly - 7:00 PM
28 Santa Clara vs. UC Santa Barbara - 7:00 PM
24 Pepperdine vs. Marshall - 8:30 PM
28 Santa Clara vs. Notre Dame - 11:00 AM
24 Pepperdine at West Virginia - 2:30 PM
23 UOP Tournament; 24 Blue/Green Classic; 25 TCU Tournament; 26 USD Tournament; 27 USF Invitational; 28 Santa Clara Tournament
WCC TEAM NOTES
Gonzaga Bulldogs (8-3 / 0-0 WCC)
- Gonzaga improved to 8-3 overall by defeating Bowling Green (3-2), Northern Colorado (3-0), and host New Mexico (3-2) to claim the Comcast Lobo Invitational. The 8-3 start for the Zags is the best start since the 1990 season when they came out strong with an 8-1 record.
- Senior Heather Dunn was named the tournament's MVP after dishing out a season-high 64 assists, along with collecting eight digs versus New Mexico. In the three tournaments the Zags have participated in this season, Dunn has been named to each all-tournament squad.
- Junior Elaina Renius tallied 19 kills and seven solo blocks and two block assists versus UNM. The seven solo blocks is tied for the second most blocks in a single-match in GU history.
- Gonzaga looks to extend its six-match winning streak as the Zags will face Alcorn State (9/14), Sam Houston State (9/15) and TCU (9/15) at the TCU Tournament this weekend.
Loyola Marymount (6-4 / 0-0 WCC)
- The Lions posted a 3-1 record last week, defeating UC Irvine (3-2) before downing Tulane (3-1) and Columbia (3-0) in the LMU Hilton LAX Invitational. The Lions' lone setback of the week was a thrilling 3-2 loss to No. 10 Wisconsin.
- Three of LMU's four losses have come to teams currently ranked in the nation's top-25.
- Seniors Christianna Reneau and Heather Hughes were named to the all-tournament team of the LMU Hilton LAX Invitational. Reneau posted double-doubles in each of the three tournament matches on the weekend, while Hughes notched two double-doubles in the tournament. Hughes leads the WCC with eight double-doubles, while Reneau is tied for seventh with five double-doubles.
- The Lions travel to UC Irvine (9/4) before hosting Tulane (9/7), Columbia (9/8), and Wisconsin (9/8) in the LMU Hilton LAX Invitational.
Pepperdine Waves (5-4 / 0-0 WCC)
- The Waves posted a 1-2 record last week, defeating Cal State Bakersfield, 3-0, but suffering setbacks versus No. 4 USC (0-3) and No. 7 Texas (3-1).
- Junior outside hitter Julie Rubenstein tallied double-doubles versus Cal State Bakersfield and Texas for her sixth and seventh of the season. Rubenstein leads the Waves and ranks second in the WCC with seven double-doubles.
- Sophomore outside hitter Rachel Lumsden recorded three service aces versus Cal State Bakersfield to up her season total to 20. Led by Lumsden's WCC-leading 0.61 service aces per game, the Waves pace the conference in service aces per game with a 1.91 average.
- The Waves lead the WCC in hitting percentage with a .294 hitting percentage.
- Pepperdine faces Akron (9/14), Marshall (9/15), and West Virginia (9/15) this week.
Portland Pilots (6-3 / 0-0 WCC)
- The Pilots posted a 2-1 record at their Nike Portland Invitational, defeating cross-town rival Portland State, 3-2, and UTEP, 3-1, before falling to Pacific, 3-1.
- Senior setter Kara Pein recorded two more double-doubles over the weekend, handing out 59 assists and registering 12 digs versus Portland State and dishing out 41 assists and collecting 10 digs against Pacific. Pein leads the Pilots and is tied for third in the WCC with six double-doubles.
- Junior middle blocker Ashley Grayson enjoyed the best individual performance by a Pilot so far this season in UP's win over UTEP, hammering home 21 kills on a .455 hitting percentage, to go along with six service aces. The 21 kills by Grayson is the highest single match total for the Pilots this season, while her six aces are the second most in a single match in the WCC this season.
- Portland plays at Oregon (9/11) in its lone match this week.
Saint Mary's Gaels (5-3 / 0-0 WCC)
- The Gaels saw their season-opening five-match winning streak come to an end as they dropped consecutive matches to No. 2 Stanford (3-0), No. 9 BYU (3-0), and No. 17 Cal Poly (3-1)
- Sophomore middle blocker Megan Burton tallied six total blocks versus the No. 2 ranked Cardinal. Led by Burton, who is tied for the WCC lead in blocks per game, the Gaels pace the conference with 3.26 blocks per game.
- Freshman outside hitter Megan York tallied double-doubles versus No. 9 BYU and No. 17 Cal Poly. York, who ranks second in the WCC in kills per game (4.52), leads the Gaels and ranks seventh in the conference in double-doubles with five.
- The Gaels begin a six-match homestand by hosting UC Santa Barbara (9/13) in their home opener on Thursday and UC Davis (9/14) on Friday.
San Diego Toreros (5-3 / 0-0 WCC)
- The Toreros posted a 3-0 record last week and captured the USD Invitational title with wins over UC Santa Barbara (3-1), Virginia (3-1), and Oklahoma (3-1).
- Senior Laurel Abrahamson tallied a career-high 25 kills on a .413 hitting percentage in the Toreros' win over Oklahoma in the title match. Abrahamson, this week's WCC Player of the Week, is enjoying a strong start the season, leading the WCC with a .410 hitting percentage, ranking fifth in kills per game (4.10), and ranking seventh in blocks (1.07).
- Sophomore outside hitter Amy DeGroot registered double-doubles in all three USD wins last week, giving her a team-leading five double-doubles on the season.
- San Diego hosts its second consecutive tournament as the Toreros welcome Pittsburgh (9/14), Cal State Northridge (9/15), and UCLA (9/15) to the Jenny Craig Pavilion.
San Francisco Dons (7-3 / 0-0 WCC)
- The Dons went 2-2 last week, falling to Oregon (3-0) and Idaho (3-1), before bouncing back with sweeps over Boise State and UC Davis.
- Junior middle blocker Carly Babin and senior outside hitter Kristin Hasselberg led the way for the Dons all weekend. Babin averaged an impressive 4.00 kpg on a .388 hitting percentage to go along with a tournament-high 1.60 bpg. Hasselberg, who appears to be fully recovered after starting the season with a sore hitting shoulder, added 4.75 kpg and 1.88 dpg with 0.75 bpg.
- Senior outside hitter Brynn Maurer collected 30 more digs last week to give her 1,475 career digs, moving her past former USD standout Jackie Bernardin (1,464) for sixth place on the WCC's all-time charts.
- The Dons play at San Jose State (9/12), before hosting Sacramento State (9/14), Xavier (9/15), and Cal Poly (9/15) in the USF Asics/Coca-Cola Invitational.
Santa Clara Broncos (6-3 / 0-0 WCC)
- Santa Clara posted a 1-2 record last week at the Waikiki Beach Marriott Volleyball Challenge, defeating Eastern Washington, 3-0, but falling to Wichita State, 3-0, and host Hawai'i, 3-1.
- Senior setter Crystal Matich received all-tournament honors for the third time this season. In three matches, Matich dished out 112 assists and tallied five service aces. Matich's 112 assists last weekend increases her career total to 3,307, moving her up to fifth on the Broncos' all-time list
- Senior libero Caroline Walters recorded 56 digs last week to bring her career total to 1,596, good for fifth on the WCC's career list. She is now 265 digs shy of eclipsing the school and WCC record of 1,860 set by Lia Young (1990-93).
- Santa Clara hosts UC Davis (9/13) before facing Cal (9/14), UC Santa Barbara (9/15), and Notre Dame (9/16) in the SCU Invitational.