(Courtesy of San Diego Media Relations)
SAN DIEGO, Calif. -- The No. 28 San Diego men's tennis team (24-7, 9-0 WCC) defeated the No. 34 Vanderbilt Commodores (17-14) in the first round of the NCAA Tournament on Friday in Los Angeles by a final score of 4-0. The Toreros will face the winner of the No. 2 UCLA Bruins and the Weber State Wildcats match that will be played at 1 p.m.
Uros Petronijevic and doubles partner Filip Vittek came out firing for the Toreros as they took control of the No. 1 doubles match against Vandy's Tate Allwardt and Pen Binet. The San Diego duo clinched the first match of the day 6-3 to put the Toreros in the drivers seat.
Not long after Alexandros Araouzos and Jann Kononov clinched the point with a 6-3 victory of their own over Baker Newman and Daniel Valent. Araouzos and Kononov are 4-0 since partnering up in the doubles rotation. Jordan Angus and Joshua Page were lead 5-3 before the double match was clinched and play was abandoned.
In singles the Toreros received more of the same as No. 71 Angus jolted San Diego to a 2-0 lead with a 6-2, 6-3 win in the No. 2 position. The senior earned his team-leading 26th win of the season while earning his second victory over the Commodores' Rhys Johnson.
Another senior, Romain Kalaydjian, continued the Torero dominance as he clinched a 6-3, 6-2 defeat of Alex Ross in the No. 5 spot. Kalaydjian has a career-best 21 victories this season and is now on a nine-match winning streak.
To clinch the match Vittek outlasted Newman in a 7-6, 7-6 battle. The USD junior was named the ITA Southwest Region Player to Watch just last week and backed it up by propelling the Toreros into the second round of the NCAA Tournament.
No. 65 Petronijevic had just started his third set against No. 36 Valent when play came to a halt. Kononov and Araouzos were both leading in the third set in their matches respectively before play was abandoned.
This is now the fifth time in the last six years that the men's tennis team has advanced to the second round of the tournament. The team will be back on the court tomorrow to face the winner of the UCLA versus Weber State match.
Vanderbilt vs San Diego
May 13, 2016 at Los Angeles, CA
(Sunset Canyon Tennis Courts)
#28 San Diego 4, #34 Vanderbilt 0
1. #65 Uros Petronijevic (USD) vs. #36 Daniel Valent (VANDY) 7-5, 6-7 (5-7), 0-1, unfinished
2. #71 Jordan Angus (USD) def. Rhys Johnson (VANDY) 6-2, 6-3
3. Filip Vittek (USD) def. Baker Newman (VANDY) 7-6 (7-5), 7-6 (7-2)
4. Jaan Kononov (USD) vs. Kris Yee (VANDY) 3-6, 6-4, 2-0, unfinished
5. Romain Kalaydjian (USD) def. Alex Ross (VANDY) 6-3, 6-2
6. Alexandros Araouzos (USD) vs. Pen Binet (VANDY) 6-2, 4-6, 5-3, unfinished
Order Finished (2,5,3)
1. Uros Petronijevic/Filip Vittek (USD) def. Tate Allwardt/Pen Binet (VANDY) 6-3
2. Jordan Angus/Joshua Page (USD) vs. Rhys Johnson/Kris Yee (VANDY) 5-3, unfinished
3. Alexandros Araouzos/Jaan Kononov (USD) def. Baker Newman/Daniel Valent (VANDY) 6-3
Order Finished (1,3)