Top-15 Match-up Highlights #WCCHoops Week Seven
No. 12/11 Zags play at No. 11/12 Gaels Saturday on ESPN2
#WCCHOOPS QUICK HITS
- Saturday’s game featuring No. 12/11 Gonzaga at No. 11/12 Saint Mary’s marks the first time two WCC teams have squared off while ranked in the Top-15 nationally
- #WCChoops columnist John Crumpacker (@crumpackeronwcc) recaps an eventful week six of WCC action. STORY | CRUMPACKER ARCHIVES
- Senior All-American Jock Landale of Saint Mary’s collects his fifth WCC Player of the Week after lifting the Gaels to another weekend sweep. STORY
- Voting now open for the “Decade in the Desert” All-Time Las Vegas Teams. VOTE HERE
- **Credentials for the 2018 #WCChoops Championships are available now. Apply today. CREDENTIALING SITE
- Gonzaga enters week seven of WCC play ranked No. 12 in the AP poll and No. 11 in the USA Today Coaches poll. The Zags have been ranked in both polls for 33 straight weeks. Saint Mary’s climbed to a program-high No. 11 in the AP poll and No. 12 in the USA Today Coaches poll.
- Gonzaga and Saint Mary’s have appeared in both the AP and USA Today Coaches poll 24 out of the last 33 weeks dating to the 2016-17 preseason polls.
- In the latest “Bracketology” released by ESPN’s Joe Lunardi, two #WCChoops teams are listed: No. 6 Gonzaga and No. 6 Saint Mary’s. This is the sixth straight week and the 11th time in 13 weeks multiple WCC programs have appeared in the 2018 projections.
- The West Coast Conference ranks fifth nationally in field goal percentage (46.19).
- Three WCC squads are in the top-25 in field goal percentage: Saint Mary’s (1st/52.4), Gonzaga (10th/50.5) and BYU (23rd/49.1).
- San Diego ranks second among Division I leaders in 3-point field goal percentage defense (28.6) and 22nd in scoring defense (64.8).
- Saint Mary’s Preseason All-American center Jock Landale ranks in the national top-20 in three major categories: rebounds per game (9th/10.8), points per game (10th/22.8) and field goal percentage (9th/65.8). He is one of three Division I players averaging at least 20 points and 10 rebounds per game in 2017-18.
- Saint Mary’s senior guard Emmett Naar ranks in the national top-2 in a pair of major categories: assists per game (2nd/9.0) and total assists (1st/225).
- Jock Landale of Saint Mary’s and Johnathan Williams of Gonzaga were named to both the Naismith Trophy Preseason Watch List and the Wooden Award Preseason Top-50. Landale was named to the Wooden Award, the Naismith Trophy & the Oscar Robertson Midseason Top 25 lists.
- The 2018 West Coast Conference Basketball Championships will celebrate its 10-Year Anniversary in Las Vegas in March. The WCC will commemorate the “Decade in the Desert” with special programming including top-moments, all-decade all-tournament teams and more throughout the 2017-18 #WCChoops regular season.
- For the second consecutive season, two #WCChoops teams entered the 2017-18 campaign ranked in the both the AP and USA Today Coaches polls.Gonzaga checked in at No. 18/19 and Saint Mary’s was No. 22/22.
WCC WEEK SIX LAYUPS
- Saint Mary’s extended its program record with its 18th straight win at San Diego (2/3). The Gaels have not lost since November.
- Emmett Naar moved into a third-place tie for most WCC career assists with 757 while passing All-American Matthew Dellavedova for most by a Gael in a single season (225).
- Saint Mary’s climbed to No. 11 in the AP poll, its highest ranking in program history.
- Saint Mary’s All-American Jock Landale turned in his seventh 30-point game of the season with a 34-point night at San Diego (2/3).
- Pacific surpassed its win total from 2016-17 with a win at Pepperdine (2/3), which also gave the Tigers their highest WCC win total (7) since rejoining the conference in 2013-14.
- Yoeli Childs of BYU scored in double figures for the 23rd straight game with 14 points at No. 14/12 Gonzaga (2/3).
- Pacific secured back-to-back WCC road victories since rejoining the conference in 2013-14.
- Check out the latest “WCC All-Access” show here! WATCH EPISODE THREE
- Watch the latest edition of “Top Play Tuesday”! CLICK
In 2018, the West Coast Conference will celebrate the 10-Year Anniversary of its basketball championships in Las Vegas. The WCC will commemorate the “Decade in the Desert” with special programming throughout the course of the 2017-18 #WCChoops regular season including top-moments, all-decade all-tournament teams and more. The 2018 WCC Men’s Basketball Championship runs from March 2-6, 2018 at the Orleans Arena. Ticket details will be released in January.
WCC ALL-ACCESS SHOW – EPISODE THREE
The West Coast Conference is proud to announce that WCC All-Access debuted in December, 2017. WCC All-Access tells the story of the West Coast Conference, its institutions, teams, and student-athletes -- both on and off the field. The fast-paced magazine show features interviews with WCC coaches and student-athletes, the most exciting highlights, behind-the-scenes access, and compelling feature stories. Look for the debut of episode three towards the end of January.
HOLZMAN DEPARTING WCC
Veteran collegiate sports administrator Lynn Holzman has been named the NCAA vice president of women’s basketball. Holzman, currently the commissioner of the West Coast Conference, will be making a return to the NCAA national office where she previously spent 16 years. Holzman was named the third full-time Commissioner in the history of the West Coast Conference in June 2014. During Holzman’s tenure, the Conference adopted and implemented a strategic plan that includes a vision to provide premier educational and athletic opportunities to West Coast Conference student-athletes, and to be recognized nationally for achievements in the areas of leadership, student-athlete experience, competitiveness and exposure. Holzman will assume her new duties with the NCAA February 1, 2018.
**Update: Connie Hurlbut was named interim WCC Commissioner as of January 10, 2018.
THIS WEEK’S #WCHOOPS SCHEDULE
Thursday, February 8
Gonzaga at Pacific - 7:00 p.m.
- KHQ-TV, ROOT NW, ATT RM/SW, NBCS BA+, TheW.tv, ESPN3
Portland at San Francisco - TheW.tv - 7:00 p.m.
Saint Mary’s at Loyola Marymount - TheW.tv - 7:00 p.m.
San Diego at Pepperdine - 7:30 p.m.
- SPEC SN, NBCS CA+, TheW.tv
Santa Clara at BYU - ESPNU | WatchESPN - 8:00 p.m.
Saturday, February 10
San Francisco at BYU - WCC Game of the Week - 1:00 p.m.
- BYUtv, SPEC SN, NBCS CA, ROOT NW, ATT RM, TheW.tv
San Diego at Santa Clara - TheW.tv - 1:00 p.m.
Pepperdine at Loyola Marymount - TheW.tv - 3:00 p.m.
Gonzaga at Saint Mary’s - ESPN2 | WatchESPN - 7:00 p.m.
Portland at Pacific - TheW.tv - 7:00 p.m.
*All times Pacific (PT)