#WCChoops Enters Penultimate Weekend
Scramble to the finish as Vegas looms
- #WCChoops columnist John Crumpacker (@crumpackeronwcc) recaps an eventful week seven of WCC action. STORY | CRUMPACKER ARCHIVES
- Senior Johnathan Williams of Gonzaga collects his second WCC Player of the Week after lifting the Zags to a top-15 road triumph. STORY
- Voting now open for the “Decade in the Desert” All-Time Las Vegas Teams. VOTE HERE
- **Credentials for the 2018 #WCChoops Championships are available now. Apply today. CREDENTIALING SITE
- Gonzaga enters week eight of WCC play ranked No. 9 in the AP poll and No. 8 in the USA Today Coaches poll. The Zags have been ranked in both polls for 34 straight weeks. Saint Mary’s enters the week at No. 15 in both the AP poll and USA Today Coaches poll.
- Gonzaga and Saint Mary’s have appeared in both the AP and USA Today Coaches poll 25 out of the last 34 weeks dating to the 2016-17 preseason polls.
- In the latest “Bracketology” released by ESPN’s Joe Lunardi, two #WCChoops teams are listed: No. 5 Gonzaga and No. 6 Saint Mary’s. This is the seventh straight week and the 12th time in 14 weeks multiple WCC programs have appeared in the 2018 projections.
- The WCC ranks fifth nationally in field goal percentage (46.11).
- Three WCC squads are in the top-25 in field goal percentage: Saint Mary’s (1st/52.4), Gonzaga (13th/50.0) and BYU (20th/49.3).
- San Diego ranks second among Division I leaders in 3-point field goal percentage defense (28.5) and 23rd in scoring defense (65.0).
- Saint Mary’s Preseason All-American center Jock Landale ranks in the national top-20 in three major categories: rebounds per game (11th/10.7), points per game (12th/22.0) and field goal percentage (10th/65.8). He is one of four Division I players averaging at least 20 points and 10 rebounds per game in 2017-18.
- Saint Mary’s senior guard Emmett Naar ranks in the national top-2 in two major categories: assists (2nd/8.9) and total assists (1st/239).
- Jock Landale of Saint Mary’s and Johnathan Williams of Gonzaga were named to both the Naismith Trophy Preseason Watch List and the Wooden Award Preseason Top-50. Landale was named to the Wooden Award, the Naismith Trophy & the Oscar Robertson Midseason Top 25 lists.
- The 2018 West Coast Conference Basketball Championships will celebrate its 10-Year Anniversary in Las Vegas in March. The WCC will commemorate the “Decade in the Desert” with special programming including top-moments, all-decade all-tournament teams and more throughout the 2017-18 #WCChoops regular season.
- For the second consecutive season, two #WCChoops teams entered the 2017-18 campaign ranked in the both the AP and USA Today Coaches polls.Gonzaga checked in at No. 18/19 and Saint Mary’s was No. 22/22.
WCC WEEK SEVEN LAYUPS
- Saint Mary’s Emmett Naar’s 12-assist night at Loyola Marymount (2/8) was his 10th double-digit assist game of the season, equalling BYU’s Kyle Collinsworth for most in a WCC single-season (since 1995).
- Gonzaga’s Johnathan Williams collected the 900th rebound of his career against Pacific (2/8).
- Gonzaga’s win at Saint Mary’s (2/10) not only snapped the Gaels’ program-record 19-game win streak, it also marked the third straight win in the regular season series for the visiting team. The Zags have now won 22 consecutive WCC road games - the nation’s longest streak.
- KJ Feagin notched a career-high 32 points while Henry Caruso recorded his 1,000th point in Santa Clara’s win over San Diego (2/10).
- BYU’s TJ Haws scored a season-high 26 points against San Francisco (2/10) while registering five-plus assists for the 11th time this season.
- San Francisco’s Souley Boum shattered a 42-year old USF freshman record with his 98th free throw of the season against BYU (2/10).
- Check out the latest “WCC All-Access” show here! WATCH EPISODE THREE
- Watch the latest edition of “Top Play Tuesday”! CLICK
In 2018, the West Coast Conference will celebrate the 10-Year Anniversary of its basketball championships in Las Vegas. The WCC will commemorate the “Decade in the Desert” with special programming throughout the course of the 2017-18 #WCChoops regular season including top-moments, all-decade all-tournament teams and more. The 2018 WCC Men’s Basketball Championship runs from March 2-6, 2018 at the Orleans Arena. Ticket details will be released in January.
WCC ALL-ACCESS SHOW – EPISODE THREE
The West Coast Conference is proud to announce that WCC All-Access debuted in December, 2017. WCC All-Access tells the story of the West Coast Conference, its institutions, teams, and student-athletes -- both on and off the field. The fast-paced magazine show features interviews with WCC coaches and student-athletes, the most exciting highlights, behind-the-scenes access, and compelling feature stories. Look for the debut of episode three towards the end of January.
HOLZMAN DEPARTING WCC
Veteran collegiate sports administrator Lynn Holzman has been named the NCAA vice president of women’s basketball. Holzman, currently the commissioner of the West Coast Conference, will be making a return to the NCAA national office where she previously spent 16 years. Holzman was named the third full-time Commissioner in the history of the West Coast Conference in June 2014. During Holzman’s tenure, the Conference adopted and implemented a strategic plan that includes a vision to provide premier educational and athletic opportunities to West Coast Conference student-athletes, and to be recognized nationally for achievements in the areas of leadership, student-athlete experience, competitiveness and exposure. Holzman will assume her new duties with the NCAA February 1, 2018.
**Update: Connie Hurlbut was named interim WCC Commissioner as of January 10, 2018.
THIS WEEK’S #WCHOOPS SCHEDULE
Thursday, February 15
Loyola Marymount at Gonzaga - 6:00 p.m.
KHQ-TV, ROOT NW, NBCS BA, TheW.tv
BYU at Pepperdine - BYUtv, TheW.tv - 7:00 p.m.
Pacific at San Diego - TheW.tv - 7:00 p.m.
Santa Clara at Portland - TheW.tv - 7:00 p.m.
Saint Mary’s at San Francisco - ESPNU | Watch ESPN - 8:00 p.m.
Saturday, February 17
BYU at San Diego - WCC Game of the Week - 1:00 p.m.
BYUtv, SPEC SN, NBCS CA, ROOT NW, ATT RM, TheW.tv
Loyola Marymount at San Francisco - 3:00 p.m.
NBCS CA, SPEC SN, TheW.tv
Pepperdine at Gonzaga - 5:00 p.m.
KHQ-TV, ROOT NW, SPEC SN, NBCS CA, TheW.tv
Saint Mary’s at Portland - 7:00 p.m.
ROOT NW, NBCS BA, SPEC SN, TheW.tv
Santa Clara at Pacific - NBCS CA, TheW.tv - 8:00 p.m.
*All times Pacific (PT)