Five #WCChoops Teams March Onward
Five league teams competing in all four major postseason tournaments
COMPLETE RELEASE (.PDF)
#WCCHOOPS QUICK HITS
- Gonzaga (30-4) enters the NCAA postseason ranked No. 8 in the final regular season AP poll while Saint Mary’s (28-5) was ranked No. 25 despite not earning one of 36 NCAA at-large bids.
- Gonzaga and Saint Mary’s have appeared in both the AP and USA Today Coaches poll 29 out of the last 38 weeks dating to the 2016-17 preseason polls.
- The WCC ranks fourth nationally in field goal percentage (45.99).
- Three WCC squads are in the top-26 in field goal percentage: Saint Mary’s (1st/51.4), Gonzaga (7th/50.3) & BYU (26th/48.4).
- Gonzaga ranks among Division I leaders in multiple categories including: scoring (9th/84.5), field goal percentage (7th/50.3), rebounds (13th/39.91) and scoring margin (1st/17.4).
- Three WCC student-athletes and one coach earned USBWA All-District honors. BYU’s Yoeli Childs earned District VIII selection, while Saint Mary’s Jock Landale and Gonzaga’s Johnathan Williams were District IX picks. Gonzaga’s Mark Few earned District Coach of the Year accolades. Landale was named to the USBWA All-American Team (2nd) - the second Gael ever (Tom Mescherry, 1961).
- Saint Mary’s All-American center Jock Landale ranks in the national top-20 in three major categories: points per game (20th/21.4), rebounds per game (17th/10.3) and field goal percentage (7th/64.0). He is one of four Division I players averaging at least 20 points and 10 rebounds per game in 2017-18.
- Saint Mary’s Emmett Naar ranks second nationally in two major categories: assists per game (8.0) and total assists (264).
- Jock Landale of Saint Mary’s is a finalist for the Wooden Award, the Oscar Robertson Award, the Kareem-Abdul Jabaar Award and a semifinalist for the 50th Naismith Trophy.
- Johnathan Williams of Gonzaga is a finalist for the Senior CLASS Award, which focuses on the student-athlete and encourages students to use their athletic platforms to make a positive impact.
#WCChoops Postseason Notables
- Gonzaga makes its 20th consecutive appearance in the NCAA Tournament (21st overall) and only three programs own a longer active March Madness streak - Kansas (29), Duke (23) & Michigan State (21)
- This marks the fifth time in WCC history (third in the last five seasons) the conference has sent multiple teams to the NIT Postseason field. Both BYU and Saint Mary’s aim for a shot at Madison Square Garden this season.
- This marks the eighth straight year at least four WCC programs have competed in the postseason. The conference record is seven (2 NCAA, 2 NIT, 3 CIT) established in 2014.
THIS WEEK’S #WCHOOPS MEN’S BASKETBALL POSTSEASON SCHEDULE
Monday, March 12
Hartford @ San Diego (CIT) - CBS Sports Network - W 88-72
Tuesday, March 13
SE Louisiana @ Saint Mary’s (NIT) - ESPNU | Watch ESPN - 7:00 p.m.
Wednesday, March 14
Colgate @ San Francisco (CBI) - TheW.tv - 7:00 p.m.
BYU @ Stanford (NIT) - ESPNU | Watch ESPN - 7:00 p.m.
Thursday, March 15
No. 13 UNC Greensboro vs. No. 4 Gonzaga (NCAA) – TNT - 10:30 a.m.
Boise, Idaho (Taco Bell Arena)
Saturday, March 17
Portland State @ San Diego (CIT) - CBS Sports Network - 7:00 p.m.
*ALL TIMES PACIFIC (PDT)