Pepperdine & BYU Surging in Norman
Waves set best NCAA Tournament round in program history (-14) good for second place; BYU vaults to fourth place after going 10-under in round two
SAN BRUNO, Calif. – WCC Champion Pepperdine and BYU posted exceptional rounds on day two of the NCAA Norman Regional. The Waves and Cougars entered Tuesday tied for ninth overall before going on a torrid run at the Jimmie Austin OU Golf Club on Tuesday.
Pepperdine recorded the best NCAA Tournament round in program history at 14-under 274 – the best round of the day and two shots in front of BYU who went 10-under to vault into contention. The Waves enter the final round in second place overall, two shots behind regional host Oklahoma (-9) at 7-under 569, while the Cougars are tied for fourth place at 3-under 573.
The top five teams in each NCAA Regional will advance to the NCAA Championships May 25-30 in Stillwater, Oklahoma.
BYU’s Patrick Fishburn and Pepperdine All-American Sahith Theegala each shot a 6-under 66 on Tuesday. Fishburn vaulted nine spots and sits second on the individual leader board at 7-under – just one stroke behind Oklahoma’s Blaine Hale (-8). Theegala is tied for third at 5-under with fellow Wave Joshua McCarthy who fired a 7-under 65, good for the second best NCAA postseason round in program history. Theegala’s 6-under matches the third best NCAA postseason round for Pepperdine.
BYU’s Rhett Rasmussen is in a logjam for 15th place at 1-under after firing a 4-under in round two, while fellow Cougar Peter Kuest is tied for 21st at even-par after firing a 2-under 70 on Tuesday along with Pepperdine’s Clay Feagler.
With 36 holes in the books, five WCC golfers cracked the top-25 spread across four NCAA Regional sites.
WCC NCAA REGIONAL – SECOND ROUND UPDATES
- WCC Player of the Year Patrick Fishburn leads the Norman Regional with 12 birdies through 36 holes, while Pepperdine's Joshua McCarthy has 11.
- Santa Clara struggled in round two of the Raleigh Regional and site in 10th place at 2-under. The Broncos are chasing Liberty in fifth place at 11-under.
- Hayden Shieh leads the Broncos and is tied for 14th place a 3-under after firing a 68 on Tuesday. Shieh carded six birdies.
- Fellow Bronco Jack Avritt shares 14th place with Shieh, finishing at 3-over for the day.
- San Francisco enters the final round of the College Station Regional in 12th place. Jalen Griffin is tied for a share of 40th place at 5-over.
- Saint Mary’s enters the final 18 in 12th place at 5-over for the event after carding a 4-over 292 on Tuesday.
- Two Gaels are tied for 34th place at even-par 144: Perry Cohen and Mike Slesinski.
- Competing as an individual at the Pacific Regional, LMU's Riley Elmes enters the final round in a share of 16th place at 3-under.