Dons, Tigers End Seasons At NCAA Tournament

Nov. 20, 2017


The University of San Francisco men's soccer team came from behind twice to score the equalizing goal against the University of Louisville, but the Cardinals score a late goal to advance to the third round of the NCAA Tournament.
The first half was an even game with both teams sharing spells of possession throughout, but it was Louisville (12-2-4) that was able to open the scoring. The Cardinal won a corner kick and the Cardinals midfielder, Adrien Cabon, headed it home. With under a minute before the break, a quick one-two by Leon Schwarzer and Sean Bowman ended with a Schwarzer through ball to the feet of Bowman and the junior beat the diving Glenovatch to even the score at 1-1.
Louisville was the first on the score sheet again in the second half, when the Cardinals' Mohamed Thiaw sent a driven low cross to the top of the box for midfielder Adam Wilson, who fired his shot past the diving Ruben Stuiver. USF (10-9) equalized just moments later through a free kick from Manny Padilla. The senior defender floated a cross into the box that Bryce Kaminski headed into the back of the net to make it, 2-2.
With less than 13 minutes to play, Louisville put home the game-winning goal with a shot by Tate Schmitt from 20 yards out that took a slight deflection and beat Stuiver to make it, 3-2. The Dons with a pair of chances in the final moments of the game, but the Louisville goalkeeper was up to the task.

PALO ALTO, Calif. - The Pacific men's soccer team was elininated from the NCAA Tournament Sunday after a double-overtime thriller at No. 3 Stanford. The Cardinal advance on penalty kicks following a 0-0 draw. Curtis Goldsmith posted a career-high eight saves for the Tigers.



The Tigers and Cardinal battled for 110 minutes of high-energy soccer with ample scoring chances. But after neither team could hit the back of the net, the game ended in penalty kicks with Stanford prevailing 4-1.

Stanford controlled play early, looking dangerous and generating a pair of chances as Drew Skundrich missed wide right and Tomas Hilliard-Arce's shot was saved by Curtis Goldsmith.

Pacific turned the momentum midway through the half, as Johnatan Rico-Contreres ripped a shot that was tapped over the bar by Stanford keeper Nico Corti in the 26th minute.

In the 29th minute, Bob Groenendijk deked around two defenders and sent a cross into the box for Tariq Branche, but it was just out of reach of his foot and was cleared out of bounds for a Tiger corner kick.

Minutes later, Anthony Orendain blasted a shot towards the right post the was saved for another corner, but the game remained scoreless through the first half.

In the second, Groenendijk smothered a Stanford chance in the box in the 50th minute. The Tigers had a run in the 60th, with the program's all-time leading scorer Tristan Blackmon entering the box and getting dragged down but no penalty kick was awarded and the game remained scoreless.

In the first minute of overtime, Groenendijk blasted a shot into the defender from just outside the box, got his rebound and tried again, but again it was blocked by the Stanford defense.

In the second overtime, the Tigers drew a free kick on a run from Spencer Vue, followed by Andres Ochoa sending a cross in for Blackmon, who headed it over the bar in the 102nd minute.

Pacific ends the 2017 season at 13-4-2, falling in the second round of the NCAA Tournament for the second-straight year. Stanford improves to 15-2-2 and will face the Chanticleers of Coastal Carolina, who upset No. 8 Clemson on Sunday.


  • Loading Tweets...
    1 second ago